Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fwd: "You should not drink and bake"

I nearly burned down the house last night.

Friends from Nick's soccer team invited us over for a raclette party.  The four families were from all over the world--France, Argentina, Armenia, and China--but united by their passion for soccer and fun.  Betrand started us off with Kir Royales ( 1 part Creme de Cassis; 5 parts Champagne) and also provided a variant made with Peche Blanc instead of Cassis.  With the raclette we had a variety of sliced hams, potatoes, pickles, and onions.  Oh yes, and a glass of wine.  I stick to my story that I only had one glass of wine, because the glass never seemed to go empty.

My plan was to come home from dinner about 10, bake bread and watch the Red Sox win Game 3 of the World Series.  Of course we had so much fun at the party that we stayed much, much later than expected.  We watched the 7th inning and then headed home sometime after midnight.  For some reason, I decided to stick to my original plan and bake the bread anyhow.  Not sure why my judgment was a bit off.

Anyhow, I put the bread in the oven, forgot to set the timer, and sat down to watch the end of the game.  Next thing I know, the smoke detector is blasting me out a deep sleep, the game is long over, and the house is full of smoke.

I pulled the baguettes, or rather, briquettes out of the oven and put them outside on the patio.  Then I opened all the doors and fanned the smoke for about five minutes before the alarms stopped.  Somehow the kids slept through the whole thing, but the house still smells like smoke this morning.  See if you can guess from the attached photos which bread I baked last night and which bread is from this morning when my head was clearer.  As Arnold Schwarzenegger said in the movie Raw Deal, "You should not drink and bake."


No comments: