Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mini vs. Hummer

I found this story while googling chains for our Mini Cooper.

Quick story: On my way home last winter, uphill, a Hummer H2 had spun into the ditch and the woman driving couldn't get it unstuck. I stopped, and gave her the winter driving tip that allowed the 4wd system to pull itself out (when stuck, turn the front wheels slightly this way and that, and apply the throttle slowly). We worked the vehicle out, got her safe, and talked about a few winter driving tips. It was a very productive, positive conversation, until she noticed my Really Little car, just uphill from her. ON the roda, not in the ditch.

Her: "You got up the hill in that??!"
Me: "Yes."
Her: "Does it have 4 wheel drive?"
Me: "No, just front drive, but with good snow tires" (and a little finesse, my Little Inside Voice said).
Her: (gritting teeth) "...and My Husband Makes Me Drive This Monster In Winter???!?"

I was glad I wasn't him. She smiled as I slipped the clutch, waved, and drove off...

No comments: