Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sudden turn around

I got a haircut this morning, so I won't look so shaggy on our trip to China.  The barber, Spiro, was born in Greece but grew up in Syria and is a big Red Sox fan.  So we had a lot to talk about.

On my ride to the Hair Cuttery, I learned another lesson about biking: Watch out for hanging vines!
When I got doored in Somerville, I learned to leave plenty of room between me and parked cars.
When I got my wheel stuck in the groove for a trolley car in Boston and ended up facing the oncoming traffic, I learned not to ride parallel to the tracks.

Today, I was riding along a Pond Street, which is narrow and has weeds and trees growing up right next to the edge of the road.  I was thinking about a problem at work and sort of goofing around at about 15 mph.  I was sticking my right elbow out and letting it brush against the tree branches.  All was good.  Next thing I knew a loop of a vine hanging from one of the trees caught my right brake hood.  My bike whipped around 180 degrees and threw me to the ground on my right side.  Fortunately, no cars were coming around the curve and I seem not be injured.  My elbow, hip and thumb on my right side are all very slightly bruised but other than that I seem to be okay.  No noticeable damage to my bike either.  Whew!

No comments: