Sunday, July 06, 2014

July 6: Field, Willey, Tom (peaks 22-24)

Day 8: Field, Willey, Tom

Trails: Avalon Tr to Mt Field; Willey Range Tr to Mt Willey; Willey Range Tr and Mt Tom Spur to Mt Tom; A-Z Tr and Avalon Tr back to Highland Ctr.
Distance: 10.57 mi, Elev Gain: 3835 ft, Book Time: 7:13, Actual Time: 6:15

Mt Field (#22)

Mt Willey (#23)

Mt Tom (#24)

Summary

The day after spending 18 hours hiking the Presidential Traverse, I really didn't feel like hiking another 7 hours on Sunday. Then I remembered this quote by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche and found the will to continue: "In the mountains of truth, you never climb in vain.  Either you already reach a higher point today, or you exercise your strength in order to be able to climb higher tomorrow."

Not really! Actually, I lounged around the Highland Center messing with my gear for awhile. After a couple of cups of coffee, I dragged myself off the sofa and hit the trail. Somehow, I managed to beat book by an hour. Thank goodness the trails were buffed. Afterwards, I was so tired I stopped for a nap on the drive home. Four days later, I haven't fully recovered. I've been sleeping in and missing the 5:45 Ripper rides, but I expect to bounce back and hike the Tripyramids, Whiteface, and Passaconaway this weekend.

Sights along the Trail

Two moose crossed the road in front of me at the intersection of 2 and 115 in Jefferson, NH.

The Avalon Tr runs along that stream to the right of Mt Willard. Then I hiked along the ridge from Mt Field to Mt Willey and back over Mt Field to Mt Tom (on the right). Too bad these 3D maps don't come in pocket size!


One of the prettiest views of the day was from the parking lot. Remind me, why I was going to hike for 6+ hours?

I can't stop myself from taking scenic detours. The Pearl Cascade Loop promised 2 waterfalls, but I only noticed this one.


An old blowdown cleared of fallen trees. The trails were mostly smooth going, or I would have had trouble with my sore feet from yesterday's Presi Traverse.


Playing with the panoramic setting on my iPhone.




More smooth trails. What a difference from the Presi!

OK, this is still the White Mountains so every now and then the trail threw something interesting at me.

I was just there! I think this is looking back at Mt Field on my way to Mt Willey.





Even the descents were easy, thanks to these naturally occurring stone stairs.  :)



After hiking Willey Ridge, I had to rush to return the bear canister before the Saco Ranger Station closed at 4:30.

I stopped for my usual post-hike ale; this time at Hobbs Tavern in West Ossipee. The beer was excellent (Resonation Pale Ale from Great Rhythm Brewing Co), the staff was friendly (even providing free and delicious pretzel sticks to tide me over until my pizza was ready), but... Unfortunately the Margherita flatbread was barely edible. The bread was like a thin Boboli, not crisp or chewy. It was topped with way too much gummy cheese. Magherita pizza is best with Mozzarella di Bufala, or at least those little mozzarella balls that come packed in water.

Next up... Tripyramids, Whiteface, and Passaconaway on an overnight backpacking trip with my hammock.

Summer Single Season 48


No comments: