Sunday, August 17, 2014

Aug 16-17: Mt Cabot (peak #39) and Mt Waumbek (peak #40)

Saturday, Day 15: Cabot


Trails: York Pond Tr, Bunnell Notch Tr, Kilkenny Ridge Tr, The Horn spur, Unknown Pond Tr
Distance: 11.40 mi, Book Time 7:30, Actual Time 5:40, Elev Gain 3577 ft

Summary:
Mt Cabot was the more interesting hike--it starts at the fishery, goes by a cabin, past the Horn with good views, over some interesting boulders, and along the beautiful Unknown Pond; plus I saw a moose!
Mt Waumbek was less memorable. The trail was out and back, while I prefer loops or point to point hikes. The remains of a well and a hearth were the only notable features; though the misty, foggy, rain made for a really cool atmosphere.

"I climbed that!" I can't stop myself from pointing out Whitney-Gilman Ridge to my passengers every time I drive past Cannon Cliffs.




The trailhead is a few miles past Berlin Fish Hatchery. I was concerned I wouldn't get back before they locked the gate at 4pm, so I parked outside the gate and rode my bike to the trailhead.

This poor duck was spooked when I rode by on my bicycle. S/he quacked and flew off like a bat out of hell... right into the chain link fence. Totally stunned, the duck floated in the canal for a long time before it flew off.






The hike started through a pasture of tall plants, wet from the recent rain, so my pants got soaked. On the upside, I did eat a lot of raspberries.









This cabin was unoccupied, but someone dropped his/her pack and fishing gear.


Me on top of Mt Cabot; #39 is done.




Me on top of the Bulge; get it?



Me on top of the Horn; I'm so funny.



Butt crack rock. I climbed the crack, just for fun.



I started to climb this section, then realized the trail turned left to bypass all the boulders.













Holy Cow, Batman! 
I was hiking down from Mt Cabot when it started to rain as I passed Unknown Pond. I saw piles of moose poo. I've seen it on previous hikes, but not this many piles. They were every 10 or 20 yards. Then I saw moose prints in the mud. As I walked I saw more prints and began to debate with myself: There can't be that many moose around here; it must be deer pellets and tracks. No way; these tracks are too big for deer; definitely moose poo and tracks. My internal debate was answered as I rounded a bend and saw a huge bull moose blocking the trail 10 yards in front of me. I quickly stepped off the trail and put a tree between me and the moose. He was staring right at me, but soon went back to munching on the leaves. I waited awhile but he wasn't leaving, so I bushwhacked upslope and around the moose and back to the trail far past him. I didn't see anymore moose poo or tracks the rest of the way to the trailhead, but every time I heard a noise I looked over my shoulder expecting to see if the moose bearing down on me.


This is the moose blocking the trail down from Mt Cabot. You can barely make him out because I opted for safety and hid behind a tree, at the cost of no good photos or video. In the video below, you can see movement among the branches; that's the moose.



The beers were good; the pizza just so-so.




Sunday, Day 16: Mt Waumbek


Trails: Starr King Tr up and back
Distance: 7.20 mi, Book Time 5:03, Actual Time 5:00, Elev Gain 2917 ft

I slept in my hammock Saturday night (near Appalachia), then ate breakfast at the car before driving to Mt Waumbek.



An old well.




An old hearth.

The hazy rain gave the trail a mystical air.

Me on top of Mt Waumbek; #40 in the books.



Stocked up on 4K IPA to celebrate when I reached #48.

Next up... 

Aug 30: Wildcats, Carters, Moriah
Aug 31: Isolation
Sep 6: Moosilauke for #48

Summer Single Season 48

No comments: