Sunday, January 29, 2017

#25 Mt Cabot solo

7:58 AM on Sunday, January 29, 2017

After yesterday's slog to Owl's Head, I lightened my load today, left my snowshoes and poles on my backpack and just enjoyed walking up the gentle slope to Cabot's summit.

Stats:

  • Peaks: Mt Cabot
  • Weather: 15F, 15mph, light snow most of day, some blue sky towards the end
  • Parked: York Pond trailhead, Berlin Fish Hatchery gate open and road plowed
  • Trails: York Pond, Bunnell Notch, Kilkenny Ridge, Mt Cabot Tr, and back
  • Time: 4h42m
  • Distance: 9.1mi
  • Track: GaiaGps
An overview of my Single Season Winter 48 with links to all the trip reports is here.

The woods were pretty.
No skis + lighter load = funner hike

Mostly cloudy and no views, but got a glimpse of the valley a couple of times.

The ridge near the summit was spectacular.

Aww, cute.

The cabin at the top of Cabot just needs a bathroom and heat to rival The Hikers Paradise hostel I spent the night at.

I met the owners of these packs soon after I left the cabin. They spent the night at the cabin and had just stepped out to visit the summit. I took a photo for them before they retrieved their bags and headed down.

Summit #25 this winter. Woohoo!

For the return, I tested a new piece of gear. My hiking pants are getting thin in the rear from seated glissades. So I decided to try out this little sled. It worked well, but the snow was perfect for running on the moderately steep sections, so I only used the sled on the very few steeper sections.

A bit of blue sky made a short appearance near the end of the hike, but it was snowing again by the time I got to the car.

After a 3-hour drive home, I enjoyed this delicious Trillium IPA.

btw - My weight after the hike was 155 pounds, the same as every day last week. Then I went to celebrate Chinese New Year with Julie's sister and parents. We had huku (Chinese hot pot). I ate so much I had to lie down to rest my stomach. The next morning I weighed 162; that's seven pounds of huku. Also my legs still ache from Owl's Head on Saturday. It's going to take all week to recover from the hiking and the eating.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoy your comments/articles on your mountain hiking. The pictures are great. Stay safe!