Wednesday, December 28, 2016

#10 & #11 Pierce & Eisenhower w Julie, Michael, Nick

9:11 AM on Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Julie doubled down for her first (and second) winter 4000-footer. Our goal was Mt Pierce, but we felt so good we continued on to Mt Eisenhower. Visibility was fair, with no views on either peak. The wind forecast was 10-15 mph, but it was cold and windy up top, something like 35mph and 10F. We were all dragging by the time we got back to the car. Probably should have stuck with the single peak plan, but the climb to the second peak was the most fun and challenging. Michael and Nick were super strong, as expected, but pretended to be tired on the way back to make me and Julie feel better.

Stats:

  • Peaks: Mt Pierce, Mt Eisenhower
  • Weather: cold and windy up top, something like 35mph and 10F
  • Parked: lot on Mt Clinton Rd near the Highland Center on Rte 302
  • Trails: Crawford Path, Webster Cliff Tr, Crawford Path, Mt Eisenhower Loop, and back
  • Time: 5h57m, 9:11am-3:08pm
  • Distance: 8.9mi
  • Track: GaiaGps
An overview of my Single Season Winter 48 with links to all the trip reports is here.


Pre-hike


Mid-hike


Post-hike


Through the woods...


...the layers come off.


Phillip, Nick, Michael, and Julie atop Mt Pierce, or Mt Clinton as Julie calls it in homage to her fellow alumna, HRC.


Above tree line, the layers go back on.


Icy trails are no problem in our microspikes.


Nick makes sure we head up the Mt Eisenhower Loop.






Nick looks like a Sherpa, so how did I end up with the heaviest pack?




This is NOT a black and white photo.

I joked on Facebook that some of my friends would want to ride their fat bikes down this trail. My dad quicklly responded that I take too many risks. So even though I prepare extensively for my adventures to reduce the risk, I promised Dad that I would never ride my bike off the top of Mt Eisenhower.


Summit selfie by the Mt Eisenhower cairn.
Julie says the hike was a mile too long, but bagging the extra peak made the day extra special.


Phillip atop Mt Eisenhower


Snack time.


Gourmet PBJ.




This is NOT the trail. Although we walked up many a trail covered in blue ice, this is a frozen waterfall.

Where was Alexa, you ask? She and Jordan are on a self-guided W Trek in Patagonia, with friends from the Johnson Graduate School of Management.

No comments: