Saturday, December 31, 2016

#14,15,16 Carters - 1st tracks :(

7:25 AM on Saturday, December 31, 2016

Hiked 12.4 miles in 8 hrs and hit 3 peaks: Middle Carter, South Carter, Carter Dome. Nothing technical or tricky like out to Eisenhower, but had to break trail for 5 miles and it was slow going.

Stats:

  • Peaks: Middle Carter, South Carter, Carter Dome
  • Weather: clear and cold (7F) and calm (10mph)
  • Parked: 19 Mile Brook Trailhead on Rte 16
  • Trails: Rte 16 N, Camp Dodge, Imp Tr, N Carter Tr, Carter-Moriah, Carter Dome Tr, 19 Mile Brook Tr
  • Time: 7h48m, 7:25am-3:13pm
  • Distance: 12.4mi
  • Track: GaiaGps


An overview of my Single Season Winter 48 with links to all the trip reports is here.


Heading up Imp Tr from Camp Dodge


No one had hiked Imp Tr since the 26" storm, so it required careful attention to discern the trail through the woods, especially after the blazes ended.


Higher up, the trail was pretty obvious.


I broke trail from Camp Dodge to South Carter. Much of the trail was 3' wide through the tight trees.








High clouds so the northern Presidential peaks were visible. These are probably Madison, Adams, and Monroe.


I could also see Mt Washington; as usual, it's peak was shrouded in clouds.


I walked right past the summit of Middle Carter and had to backtrack for this awesome peak photo.


After hours of breaking trail, I met hikers headed the other way. It got much easier after that.


Summit of South Carter, marked by a cairn in a clearing. Sitting on the ground, I still tower over the tiny cairn.






Two signs at the juncture of Carter Dome Trail and Carter Moriah Trail had different distances to Carter Dome. I decided to believe the sign that saved me 0.6 miles round trip.




Carter Dome


Pet peeve: Dog owners who say their dog is really friendly after it charges me barking like crazy. 1) Control your dog. 2) If you can't control your dog, at least have the decency to apologize, instead of claiming your dog is friendly, then getting all pissy when I note he doesn't act friendly.

Btw - I hiked with my dog for ~12 years until he got old, deaf, blind, then dead. I love friendly dogs that approach me with wagging tails and want to sniff my hands. Dogs that bark and charge me, not so much. Rude owners, even less.


The blue skies turned to light snow as I hiked out along 19 Mile Brook. It was totally packed out so I switched from snowshoes to microspikes.


While I was hiking Julie and Nick went to Amherst and watched my nephew play basketball against Keystone College.

Julie: Eric bball. Final score 119-71! Gubba wins $5 from Bubba on the over! Was great to see E and the team. We had little leaf salad at the North Hampton Brewery. Can't believe it will soon be 2017!!!!! Cheers to everyone, live good and love a lot!!!!!


Meanwhile, Alexa and Jordan were trekking in Patagonia.


After my hike, I met Mark P at Flatbread in North Conway and we discussed hiking Waumbek the next morning. I was so intent on my discussion with Mark, that I barely had time to insult the other dinner guests. First I said Winchester athletes call their rival school the Dirty Woo when Patty told me she grew up Woburn. Then I mentioned my bias against Wall Street just before Robbie told me he worked there. I found them an engaging couple, and hope they overlook my Allagash accent.


Back at The Bunkhouse, I joined the 20-somethings for a game of Say Anything, but went to my bunk before the New Year rolled in. They stayed up playing a drinking game; I don't need no stinking game.
That's Jake Strohman in the plaid shirt. He wrestles 149 at Springfield College (Coach Tremblay's alma mater). He has a good shot of qualifying for Nationals this year. He took a hiatus from cutting weight to celebrate New Year's Eve.


How I spent New Year's Eve…
I read Ready Player One in my sleeping bag until 12:01 then slept until the alarm went off at 5:30.

No comments: