Tuesday, December 27, 2016

#9 Mt Moriah - my first solo winter 4K

8:00 AM on Tuesday, December 27, 2016

I got up early and drove up to NH for a quickie hike up Mt Moriah before my family joined me for three days in the mountains. I'd be staying for 10 days during Teradyne's shutdown, but they had to get back to work and school. Not much to say about this hike; it was just a checkmark on my SSW48.

Stats:

  • Peaks: Mt Moriah
  • Weather: ~20F, calm and cloudy with bouts of sunshine
  • Parked: Carter-Moriah Trailhead on Bangor St in Gorham
  • Trails: Carter-Moriah Trail, Mt Moriah Spur, and back
  • Time: 4h51m, 8:00am-12:51pm
  • Distance: 8.5mi
  • Track: GaiaGps

An overview of my Single Season Winter 48 with links to all the trip reports is here.


I wasn't really in to the hike as much as usual, so I put on an audiobook and just logged the miles.


The Carter-Moriah Trail has a couple of places where it breaks out of the woods and you can see down to the valley.




On the summit of Moriah.


This ice floe on the trail would be tricky to down hike, so I took the icy bypass to the side of the main trail.


Zoom in and you can see the wind turbines on Jeriho Mtn in Berlin, NH.
Here is a video of 2015 construction.


Julie, Michael, and Nick joined me for a late lunch at Flatbread Co in N Conway.


After settling in at our Airbnb townhouse in Intervale, we had an even later dinner at Moat Mountain Smoke House and Brewery. Michael had to try the Iron Mike Pale Ale in their signature big can.

No comments: