Thursday, December 29, 2016

#12 Jackson solo (rest day?)

11:23 AM on Thursday, December 29, 2016

Slept in; ate breakfast at The Met; shopped for glitter hats; waved goodbye to my family as they headed home to Winchester, then I hiked up Mt Jackson.

First 2.5 miles was easy, but last 0.1 was so icy and cold I wasn't sure I would reach the summit. Light snow all morning, but full on blizzard now. Driving to The Bunkhouse will be an adventure.

Stats:

  • Peaks: Mt Jackson
  • Weather: The blizzard started while I was hiking. A total of 28" fell by morning.
  • Parked: Crawford Notch Depot, across from Webster-Jackson Trailhead
  • Trails: Webster-Jackson Tr, out and back
  • Time: 3h8m, 11:23am-2:31pm
  • Distance: 5.2mi
  • Track: GaiaGps
An overview of my Single Season Winter 48 with links to all the trip reports is here.


Me: Back to plan A. Hiking Mt Jackson, NOT Waumbek. Saves an hour of driving in snow storm.
Me: Heading out now. 11:23


The woods were pretty


The summit of Mt Jackson had spectacular views, NOT.
Actually there were no views anywhere, but the woods were lovely with the light snow filtering through the trees.




The scariest part of the hike was the quarter mile along the road back to Crawford Depot. I was concerned a car would slide off the road and hit me, so I walked along the train tracks instead.


Plenty of parking available today.

Me: Back from hike at 2:33pm. Easy except the last 0.1 mile to the summit. So icy and cold didn't know if I would make it. The roads look terrible. Hope you got home safely.
Julie: We're home! Easy drive, no snow for most of the way. Glad you finished the hike ok!!


My gear locker (a.k.a., the back of my Mini) can even fit my bicycle for shuttling in the summer.


Chilly and wet. Time for coffee by the fire at the Highland Center.


Julie: We r home, eating trout dip.
Me: I'm at Highland Center, eating PBJ.


Me: The good news is I drove through the blizzard and got to The Bunkhouse safely. AND they have a shower now!
Me: The bad news is the entire basement (where the bunks are) smells like a porta-potty. Just $20 a night, but still...
Me: More bad news... The smell I can live with, but no tulip glasses? Do they expect me to drink my Trillium out of the can? Roughing it!

To be fair, The Bunkhouse was a fun place to stay. Full of friendly people hiking, skiing, and ice climbing. The staff is made up of the guides from Northeast Mountaineering and they were great too, answering my questions about potential routes and where to watch the Patriots game. They told me the smell was from our gear in the basement, and I actually got used to the smell. I would stay there again, but I won't recommend it to my friends until they improve the ventilation in the basement.

It is dumping! Bigly!!!

The snow pounded down outside The Bunkhouse all night, 28" by morning. I had to spend 30 minutes shoveling out my car before I could drive to Wildcat Mountain to skin up and try to hike across the ridge. So much snow made hiking the ridge impossible (for me, at least), but it wasn't enough to cover the black diamond ski trails at the resort.

No comments: