Thursday, December 22, 2016

#5 & #6 Hancocks w Ripper Steve H

7:21 AM on Thursday, December 22, 2016

Day 2 of winter and "only" hiked 2 more summits, dropping my average to 3 peaks per day. At this rate I won't finish until Jan 5. :)
  • Bad news: one of my Kahtoola Microspikes came off on the trail but I didn't notice until after the hike. 
  • Good news: another guest at our hostel found it. 
  • Bad news: he left it on the trail, 2.5 miles from the parking lot. 
  • Good news: yet another guest of the hostel was hiking that trail the next day and would bring my Microspikes back to me. 
  • Bad news: he didn't find it. 
  • Good news: REI is open tomorrow.
Stats:
  • Peaks: Mt Hancock, Hancock South Peak
  • Weather: forecast heavy snow (5.1"), not as windy (35mph), 19F
  • Parked: Hancock Notch Trailhead, at the hairpin on Kancamagus Hwy
  • Trails: Hancock Notch Tr, Cedar Brook Tr, Hancock Loop (CW), and back
  • Time: 5h45m, 7:21am-1:06pm
  • Distance: 9.2mi
  • Track: GaiaGps
An overview of my Single Season Winter 48 with links to all the trip reports is here.







At Merland's Deli & Draft next door to Truant's Taverne. Truant's Taverne was closed due to burst pipe. Merland's is a new sandwich place under the same ownership.


Roughing it at the Notch Hostel means drinking my Otter Creek Kind Ryed IPA out of mug instead of my usual Worthy Kitchen tulip glass.


What I sacrifice for SSW48: dinner at Artistry on The Green with my family.
Me: Hiking is great. Did the Hancocks today in the light snow. Tomorrow the Osceolas for 8 of 48 peaks in the first 3 days of winter. We finished early and spent 3 hours over lunch. I had a Slick Nick ale.
Julie: we r toasting grampy's big accomplishment- finishing treatments with flying colors!!❤❤


No comments: