Thursday, February 19, 2009

Jackson Hole Ski Trip, 2009 - Day 5, Karma

Wednesday, Feb 18

We got another 8" of snow last night on top of the 6" the night before. Not epic, but enough that we were in line half an hour before the first tram. The kids passed the time by digging a hole in the snow; about 18 down they hit grass. The resort must have thought it was a snowboarder trap, because the asked them to fill it in.
Michelle with her arm down the hole.

Chris excavating.

Michael, Frank, and Melissa all rocked the BROs today. I was left bringing up the rear in my shortie Pocket Rockets.
Michael and Frank modeling the BRO Model skis.

Melissa with her BROs, SISs?, CUZs?

We caught the 2nd tram of the day after a short delay. Frank said, Uh oh, not a good sign when the bucket comes out. Sure enough, the cleaning crew went to work with shovel and mop. Must have been a chain reaction vomit on the guides tram. Usually people rush for both ends of the tram when the doors open, but this time the whole crowd pushed to the front and only the unsuspecting moved to the rear.
Waiting for the tram: Faith, Melissa, Chris, Nick, Michelle.

We had some great powder runs in the morning. I was ripping it and for once got ahead of the crew. I got down the Hobacks ten or fifteen minutes before the rest of them and while waiting at the Union Pass lift back to the main resort called my parents. It was the first time I ever used my cell phone while skiing. My parents were also on vacation; they had just left Julie's parents and were driving to the airport to fly to the Bahamas.

Later we had a great run down Casper's Bowl, knee-deep light powder, so much fun. Michael and I were traversing out of the bowl and I asked if we were headed to the rock above the cat track jump. Michael pointed down and said that looked good. I agreed and made the turns through waist deep snow. When Michael caught up, he was aggravated that I snaked his line and complained that he broke the #1 rule--There's no friends on powder days. A couple runs later I crashed and burned (and sprained my thumb) and all Michael said was, "Karma!"

Before lunch we sent the kids off to play in Casper's Bowl while we had mocha with espresso shots at the Bridger. A poster at the cafe confirmed that the film crew we saw around the resort for the last few days was, in fact, for America's Most Wanted.
Frank, Mimi, Bonnie, and Julie enjoying mochas or tea at the Bridger.

Poster explaining what America's Most Wanted film crew was doing at Jackson Hole.

We skied the trees off Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (the kids' name for the traverse to Casper Bowl). When we got back to the suite for lunch we found that the kids skied the same area and even gave it a name--The Belly--for Mr. Toad's Belly.

After lunch Julie and I skied a few runs with Bubba. Our last run was Elephant Tree and then a low traverse through the woods to enter Toilet Bowl to the far left. This area is plastered with signs that say "Caution. Cliff Area." Bubba was nervous because I was standing next to one of the signs. Julie and I have skied this area many times (and most of the kids did yesterday) and there is no real danger, but Bonnie didn't know that. She wanted me away from the supposed cliff; she was so scared she said "I am literally *****ing my pants." When I jump turned to face the opposite direction, Bubba let loose a puff of fear, which Julie immediately dubbed "nerve gas."
Caution! Nerve Gas! (I mean, Cliff Area!)

Tonight the adults had a fun dinner at Osteria, while the kids hung out at the hot tubs and ate leftover lasagna. Tomorrow Frank, Mimi, Julie, Phillip, and Michael are skinning up Teton Pass. The rest of the crew will enjoy more new snow at the resort.

No comments: