Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Rocketshoeing

The Mad River Rocket has created a following among snowshoers looking for adventure. Lightweight and easy to carry, the Mad River Rocket combined with snowshoes makes it possible to access backcountry terrain. Dubbed "Rocketshoeing," it's a trend waiting to happen.
--from Kidznsnow Article: Rippin' Riders Preview: Mad River Rocket Sleds ...

Since the Mini Cooper has cut my winter bike commuting to almost nil, I needed something else to keep in shape.  So now, whenever we have snow, I go "Rocketshoeing" before or after work.  I put on my snowshoes (or instep crampons or bareboots depending on the conditions) and, towing my sled on a rope attached to my belt by a caribiner, run up Horn Pond Mountain and sled back down.  By "run" I mean jog until my lungs ache, then plod until my legs burn, then walk until my head stops pounding, then jog...  Repeat until I reach the top.  One lap takes about 20 minutes.

Yesterday after work, I ran up Toll Road and sled the Backside Middle.  Then I ran up Falling Waters and sled Electric Avenue.
This morning before work, I ran up Falling Waters three times and sled Backside Middle, Rehab Trail, and Boulder Trail to
Lower Yak Trak.

Last week's storm dumped 12 inches of powder.  The conditions were great for sledding, what skiers call "hero snow," and I went down almost anything: hucked boulders, schussed steep slopes, and slalomed through the woods.

What a difference a week makes.  Yesterday's storm put 4 inches on top of nearly unbreakable crust.  Classic "dust on crust" made the sledding super fast (Mad River Rocket, indeed) and turning an iffy proposition.  Last night's Electric Avenue run (in the dark) went something like this:  Jump of the rock at the top; grab some trees to slow down; chicken out and butt slide down the rollover; zigzap down the lower face.  Go home, tail between my legs.  This morning, in the light of day with a couple more inches of snow was better, but steering was still sketchy so I stuck to the tamer trails.


No comments: