Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jackson Hole Ski Trip, 2009 - Day 11, Mardi Gras

Tuesday, Feb 24

Today was disappointing. The expected snow didn't come; I didn't ski as well as I want to; and I burned the sausages on the grille.

Despite all this it was a good day. Mimi and Frank joined Greg and me in the morning ski. We had some fun runs down the Bowl and through the Hobacks. When we got to the club for lunch and surprised George in his boxers. He got into JH early and was changing into his ski clothes to join us on the mountain.

We caught the Tram and repeated the morning run through the Hobacks, but the spring skiing snow was setting up and was now very tricky to ski. Though Greg on his big ole snowboard thought it was great, George and I were skiing in survival mode. The best runs of the day were in Rendezvous Bowl. I thought the snow in the Bowl got better each time; the wind smoothed out the bumps and the snow was creamy near the doingers. But the wind was howling; the first 4 turns were strange because when you turned left the wind accelerated you to warp speed and then when you turned right it was like hitting a wall. After those initial turns, the ridge blocked the wind and the skiing was excellent.

Apres Ski there was a Mardi Gras celebration in the Great Room. We ate jambalaya and King Cake and drank Hurricanes. We wore beads without having to earn them the New Orleans way. I even got a chair massage which relaxed my back after too many tumbles in the Hobacks. For dinner, I grilled sausages on the patio. The reality didn't live up to the anitcipation (just like the snow storm); I burned the sausages to a crisp. But dinner was saved by Mimi's baked potatoes and George's Pinot Noir.

Pray for snow. The forecast promises snow every day this week, but I am getting cynical about the forecasts.

No comments: