Sunday, February 15, 2009

Jackson Hole Ski Trip, 2009 - Day 1, Let the Fun Begin

Saturday, Valentine's Day

We skied all day and had a great time. We stuck to the groomers in the morning and then skied some bumps before and after lunch. We ate in Bridger Restaurant at the top of the gondola, right next to the windows that got buried by the avalanche in December. The restaurant was closed for repairs all of January. Julie, Bubba, and Mimi stopped early to go grocery shopping and visit Dr. Tom for a blood examination. I skied with the kids until the lifts closed. Now my back is a little sore. My ego is a bit bruised too. I think both Michael and Nicholas are skiing better than me this year. They look very smooth, fluid, and balanced on their skis and I am feeling awkward and struggling to find the line through the trees and in the bumps.

We rode up the chairlift with Peter. Mimi knows him because they have ski lockers next to each other. Turns out he is the owner of AppleCrest Farm Orchards in New Hampshire. Next fall, we may have to skip our annual trip to Shelburne Farm to check out Peter's orchard.

We moved into the Teton Club today, unpacked all our stuff from storage, and settled in. Yesterday we searched for 30 minutes through the storage room for Michael's new ski boots and my old ski boots. I was sure we left them here at the end of last year's trip. Today I was talking with the people at the desk and we suddenly remembered that last year I decided I didn't want those old, stiff Rossignol Race 1 boots anymore, so I gave them to one of the employees who needed boots. I feel much better with that mystery solved. As for Michael's boots, they may be at home in our basement. Sort of aggravating to rent boots for a week because we can't keep track of where all our stuff is, but we aren't letting it detract from our having fun out here.

Getting ready to hit the slopes. From left: Mimi, Michael, Nicholas, Eric, Julie, Melissa, Frank, and, in front, Michelle.


The new 100-person tram.


A rare sighting of Bigfoot at the gondola loading station.

No comments: